I have become a massive fan of kale… I do feel like I’m in a herd of sheep following the massive trend, but it is pretty healthy and can be incredibly tasty. Up until recently, I roasted kale as well as tossed it into soups but Kale Caesar Salad was the first raw recipe I embraced. This version originally came from Alton Brown but I’ve altered it generously to make it a bit more healthy and more pungent. Takes about 15 minutes from start to finish and feeds 4 people as a side.
Kale Caesar Salad
1 large head dinosaur or lacinato kale, stalks removed and chopped (you can use other kale as well but this kind has a good texture)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, fresh (not from a can), divided
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1. Place kale in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Combine garlic, yogurt, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup cheese in a blender or food processor. Briefly process until combined.
3. With the motor running, slowly add oil to the machine.
4. Test for thickness. If you’d like it thinner, add additional olive oil or water. Process to incorporate.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add desired amount of Caesar dressing to prepared kale and toss. This recipe usually makes enough for two batches but if you like a lot of dressing, go for it.