I know… meatloaf ain’t sexy. But this hunk of ground beef, cooked to-juicy-perfection comfort food wins any and all races to the heart. Nestle it next to a fluffy scoop of mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash and these truffled green beans and you experience a little piece of heaven.
And there have been some technological advances in the heavenly art of meatloaf making. This recipe is on the plate within 20 minutes because it makes use of a machine we normally use for reheating leftovers — the microwave. In 40 minutes faster than the traditional oven. Don’t turn your nose up! Try it. Believe me.
Microwaves work by exciting water molecules in the food, essentially steam-cooking it. So it makes sense that this loaf ‘o meat ends up so juicy.
And juicy this is…. no matter what your views are of microwaving magic, it’s pretty tasty. Once you’ve got the hang of it, experiment with adding other ingredients to your taste — minced jalapenos, oregano, basil, whatever floats your loaf boat.
Equally delicious the next day — heated up, of course, in the microwave.
Pair it with your favorite Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec or Zinfandel. Plenty of red wine suggestions here.
Super Fast Meat Loaf
1/3 cup jarred or homemade marinara sauce
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 Tablespoons chopped onions
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 t. salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper (add more if you want more kick)
3/4 pound ground sirloin
1/4 pound ground spicy Italian sausage (you can remove from the links if necessary)
1 large egg
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or cheddar
1. Combine first 10 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl. Stir to combine but don’t over stir — it will get tough.
2. Coat a glass 9 1/2 inch loaf pan with cooking spray for easy removal later. Spread mixture in; don’t pack it too snugly.
3. Loosely cover the dish with a paper towel. Microwave at HIGH for 8 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven broiler.
5. Sprinkle meat loaf with cheese and broil 2-3 minutes or until browned.