Sweet potatoes are some kinda nutritious! Vitamin A, C and plenty of fiber. But I’ve never loved the boring, plain baked sweet potato… I need to have a dash of savory with this meaty, starchy veggie. So I cut ’em up, throw on some spice and roast them until they become a beautiful side dish with grilled chicken, BBQ rubbed pork chops or pretty much anything. This recipe comes together in 5 minutes and cooks for about 15 minutes. Easy peasy weeknight or weekend recipe. And don’t worry, it’s not super spicy — the sweetness in the potato softens the flavor to perfection. Want more spice? Dash on some cayenne pepper. Serves two.
Roasted Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
1 large sweet potato
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning or other seafood seasoning
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon or 5-6 grinds of a black pepper mill
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut potato into 2-3 inch length by 1/4-1/2 inch (square) thick strips — try to keep them consistent for even cooking. Length doesn’t matter as much as thickness.
3. Combine potato and other ingredients in a medium bowl. Toss well to coat.
4. Arrange sweet potato strips in a single layer on a aluminum foil lined baking pan.
5. Roast 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted into the thickest fry gives easily.
6. Serve immediately. If you want a treat, serve with ranch dressing as a dipping sauce.